The Fire Contract Certification Game

The Fire Contract Certification Game

If you’re new to contracting or trying to break into the game then certifications are your ticket. Contracting companies generally have to follow the federal/military certification requirements when it comes to hiring firefighters. This means you’ll need fire certifications with an International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC), – or – Professional Board of Fire Service Professional Qualifications (ProBoard), – or – Department of Defense certifications.

Every contract is a little different with regard to minimum requirements but generally, the cert list can be pretty hefty.

Typically at a minimum, you’ll need some variation of these certifications.

  • Firefighter 1
  • Firefighter 2
  • Airport Firefighter
  • Driver Operator Pump, ARFF, MWS,
  • T-Comm 1 & 2
  • ICS 100, 200, 700, 800
  • Hazmat Awareness & Operations.


Some contracts will provide Technical Rescue Services, Hazardous Materials Technician Response, Shipboard and you may need to have.

  • Confined Space
  • HazMat Technician
  • Rope 1 & 2
  • Marine Firefighter
  • Structural Collapse

Of course, these are listings for minimum requirements. To be hired as an officer’s you’ll need all or most of the above as well as all your one’s and/or twos.

Here are some schools you can obtain these certifications.



Posted in: Latest News

Leave a Comment (0) ↓